Sunday, May 13, 2007

Final Thoughts


I'd like to start with a success story. A week or two after the Google Labs exercise, I was helping a woman who updates her church website. The pastor sends her a Word document and she was instructed to add it to the site as a PDF file. I said that we don't have software here for that but that I just learned a way to do that for free via Google, and she was delighted (wrote down the 24 steps) that I could help her. Me too.

So already these exercises have helped (I've also fielded a few MySpace questions) in our customer service. On the whole I've been really impressed with this project and with the information we have learned. I don't know whether to be excited about the direction our culture is going, or horrified. A serious lot of time and effort is being spent by a heck of a lot of people on computer/internet-related activities. I guess I'd have to say that it's maybe like art, or sports for that matter. Some people really like it, and find it very gratifying, and others think it's a waste of time.

Overall, I didn't have much trouble learning the various tools. I found that with some tinkering I could usually figure it out. I do believe strongly that Librarians and other Library workers should continue to learn on the job, so I was really pleased to take part in this project. I think people who work in libraries tend to like to learn, so we are perfect for this sort of thing.

Favorite exercises: Google Labs (especially the documents) and this blog - I like to write.

Surprises: the extent and variety of online applications, goofy inventions, amazing technological advances (mapping, etc.), and the amount of time people spend on all this stuff.

Biggest surprise: that email is too slow and is not cool

Didn't need too much help but yes, it was there when I needed it. Thanks for that.

Improvements: maybe have the option of 2-3 people working in teams? As long as everyone does the exercises, it might make it more fun. Maybe some sort of competition or "final project" - something fun.

Similar trainings? Yes.

Do it again? Yes.

Something else to cover: our biggest tech problem here is the multitude of stuff that people want to connect up to our computers. Video cams, cameras, 21 different MP3 players, etc. I would like to learn some basics about connecting peripherals to our system and what can and cannot be done. Do's and Don'ts of music downloading.

That's it - thanks a bunch.

No comments: