Monday, April 23, 2007

The world is my oyster

Zowie, this is just grand. And just in time too. My "old" computer at home crashed a few months ago, and although I can still use the internet (after going through the various scary error messages warning me of imminent disaster), all my other applications refuse to open.

So I've been using my wife's Mac, which involves a bit of scheduling and "oops, here ya go honey, I was just getting off now anyway" - and plus, the mouse really stinks and the keyboard is a bit squishy, and darn it all if everything is a bit different. But I like that it's not a PC, just for the sheer audacity of trying to struggle through life without a Microsoft product.

Anyhoo, so this solves my problem of racing over to the phone to call my wife's cell phone to get her off her computer for a few minutes when I need to open a quick word doc (I don't really do that). This also solves the even bigger, and more annoying problem, of having to open an Excel doc every 3 months or so. I refuse to buy the darn software for 4 uses/year. Of course I could just go to the library, like those poor pathetic mortals tromping in every day, shoulders curled with desperation and fatigue.

So back to the options. I imported a doc into both programs. I found, once again, a preference for Google. Again, familiarity - but also the buttons did what I wanted them to do. For example, if you want to save a doc as a pdf, you click File-Save As PDF in Google. This makes sense. In Zoho, you have to click Export. This does not make sense, especially as they have a Save As button right there at the beginning of the line.

I thought Zoho presented more options. The digisign is a great idea, and I haven't seen that Google has something similar. The emotion buttons are cute but not all that useful. I got the impression that Zoho is designed for more academic settings (postcripts/superscripts) or maybe for more professional settings, and Google is designed more for the lay person.

My overall opinion is that this is not only great for me but that it's a very practical tool that we could introduce to patrons.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

My anti-Apple friend claims that the Mac mouse is designed for people who like to navigate using their entire fist.