Monday, April 2, 2007

Wiki

I looked through most of the Wiki suggested links and it seemed as though a lot of the library wikis were pretty new, but I liked what I saw. I think we could harbor more good will from the community by opening up wiki pages.

I particularly like the idea of allowing patron comments on books, or maybe having some sort of ranking. A patron could rate a book on a scale from 1-10 and the software could average out scores, providing readers an overall idea of how popular the book seems to be. Over time it would be great to see a link that pulled up the "top 100" ranked books (films, etc.) , or something similar.

I also like the idea of collaborative reading lists, readers advisory, etc. It seems like we could do a lot in that area. I'm trying to figure out how we might use a Wiki to help with behavior issues and kids - maybe some sort of public forum via wiki pages?

Like the other issues discussed in this project, it would take some dedicated staff time to monitor a KCLS wiki to deal with vandalism/abuse/etc.

No comments: