Wednesday, March 14, 2007

RSS Searching

I found this excercise to be the most confounding so far. I much prefer to look for the RSS icon on a website, or just paste in the url, rather than search for a feed. I found most of the search tools to be difficult in terms of understanding the results - couldn't tell what it was I was actually looking at. I guess I'm used to google, where the website is clearly listed, or a title is clearly shown.

Feedster results are ok, but I can't tell what sort of website the results come from, because no url is listed (is it a .com site, .org?, .edu?). Topix is similar - can't tell what I'm looking at. Syndic8 is the worst in terms of results - what do all those icons mean - exclamation points?? And if a result is 'pending approval', what does that mean?

I thought the bloglines search was the best because they clearly show the url in the results. I used that to find a library feed. There were very few 'brick n morter' library feeds, but I finally found Hennepin County News.

I found "Library Link of the Day" using one of the other search tools.

My remaining question is - if you can copy and paste any url into bloglines to subscribe, why bother looking for a feed?? What's the difference between a "feed" icon and a url for the page you are on?

Unusual feeds? How about "Nude Hiking and Soaking in the Pacific Northwest" - I was particularly impressed with the nude snowshoeing blog. I'll spare you the photo...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

The way I understand it now, the RSS button links directly to the XML feed, which looks considerably different than the webpage itself.

And yeah, Bloglines will find the feed if you give them a URL, but I don't think all RSS readers have that capability.

I'm kind of tempted to sign up for a WebJunction XML class this summer just so I can finally get RSS. "Really Simple." Psssh.