Wednesday, March 28, 2007

LibraryThing


I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that I found this to be a lot of fun. Books, book-fiends, book-fanatics, and book-wacky stuff. What's not to like? I was surprised at how seriously I felt I should consider the 5 books to catalog. Not like it really matters, but I wanted to pick a really good list of 5. I had a great time pondering tags for the books.

I think this is the first topic that I'd be likely to return to on my own time. I don't really think I'd use it to catalog my books, though I can see how that would be useful and fun. But the site really provides a great portal to the community of readers and book lovers. I spent a while browsing through the various groups, and am considering joining the Librarians Who LibraryThing group, which I noticed is one of the more active groups.


I also found it to be a good reference tool. While exploring, I happened upon a good list of humorous books - something that's always a bit tricky to find (so subjective).


But I'm left with the same criticism - how do you find the time to do all this stuff???? I guess it's really a matter of how much time you want to spend on a computer. After a day at work, and after getting through my personal email at home, I just don't think I'll want to sit down with a nice cup of cocoa and browse LibraryThing. My rant for the day.
ps. the image is of an old family book that we've read for generations (2 or 3)

No comments: