Monday, March 12, 2007

RSS

Way back when, we created lists of websites, or created personal bookmark lists of sites we liked. This seems to be the next generation of "lists".

I really like the concept of collecting all this in one central place, where just new news is pushed our way. But I sort of miss going to the websites - you miss the pictures, I think. I also think you miss the serendipity factor of happening upon something unexpected. I did notice that you can view the names of all other subscribers, and when I tried clicking on one, I found their list of feeds (which was huge - now I know why some people spend endless hours on this.

I'm not too sure how this will help in my personal life, because I just have a few sites I monitor on a regular basis. For KCLS life - it would definitely be useful, in that we could subscribe to a particular feed for very specific issues. It seems like it would be particularly useful to have an RSS feed for library news going out to patrons.

No comments: